Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What is White and Gold and Red all over?






The title is so silly I know, but I love this project! Sitting in my parents basement was my old furniture from when I was a little girl. You know the furniture- White French provincial style with gold detail.
In search for a new entryway table I thought of this furniture.
May I first start my saying before you start a project like this, you have to go over to ALTAR'd, check out her awesome pieces and download her eBook. Best $10 I ever spent!


Here is my before:



After Sanding and removing of all things ugly,
 It was time to start!




I have the best little helper!!!


Here is my finished product......

Isn't she just dreamy?!?!?!
Excuse my lack of decoration. This isn't the entryway she was made for, but I had to find her a new home.
A few tricks I learned from this piece:
1. The cheapest paint worked the best
Yes you heard read right. After several coats of an un-named paint, I went to good 'ol Olympic Flat paint. The best part $8 a gallon!
2. Use stain, Not glaze
I know that glaze is all the rage now, but for the life of me I can't get it down. Every time I have used it, it looks like my dogs have come running inside and shaking all over my finished piece after playing in mud all day. Instead, on this piece I used Minwax Ebony stain. Just use rags and get creative. You can't mess it up.
3. Have Fun
You read right! Just have fun. Who cares? Its paint. If you don't like it, start again. 
4. Be Patient
Yes, it is easier said then done. At least for me, but you have to sand, prime, and let each coat of paint dry in between. Also make sure and wait until it is completely dry before distressing. I didn't. Ooops, the distress police are at my door!

No comments:

Post a Comment